The 15 available positions are free to apply for, given that the following criteria defined by the EU are fulfilled by the applicant:
- All researchers recruited in an ITN must be Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs; i.e., be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree).
- Each individual ESR will be supported for a minimum of 3 months and up to a maximum of 36 months. However, researchers enrolled in a doctoral programme are expected to be appointed for the maximum 36 months.
- Researchers can be of any nationality.
- Mobility Rule: at the time of recruitment by the host organisation, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
- The mobility rule applies to the (first) beneficiary where the researcher is recruited, and not to beneficiaries to which the researcher is sent or seconded. It is also only determined at one point in time: that of the fellow's first recruitment in the project.